Monday, February 22, 2010

Sacrifices

As I read through Exodus, I had a hard time not envisioning Charlton Heston as Moses, in the classic movie “The Ten Commandments.” That embarrassingly cheesy, yet somehow engrossing movie attempted to capture the story of the Exodus narrative, but fell far short of what really happened.

What I found so intriguing about Exodus is that:

- Moses wasn't an extraordinary guy - yes, he grew up in Pharaoh's palace but he had committed murder and had a speech impairment too - but God intended to use him for a purpose far greater than Moses ever expected for himself.
- Moses led over a MILLION people out of Egypt (a rather daunting task for anyone, I’d say)
- Moses actually met with God and spoke with Him – how cool is that?
- The Israelites were God’s chosen people – but even witnessing God’s miraculous acts did not keep them from sinning against Him.

I’ve often thought that if I had been an Israelite, given very specific instructions from God as to what I can and cannot do, it would be pretty easy to obey. I mean, our government today gives us laws that we are to obey – disobedience to them has pretty profound consequences! Yet, despite all that God did for the Israelites – before their very eyes – they still disobeyed Him. And not just once, but over and over again they turned their backs to Him.

Unlike the Israelites, we as believers today don’t have a rigid list of “do’s” and “don’ts.” Through the atoning death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, we no longer have to offer sacrifices to God as atonement for our sin. With the new covenant established through Christ, we no longer have “rules” but rather a relationship with God. But that relationship is not easy; for many of us, we have to sacrifice our own selfish desires to truly commit to a relationship with our Father. Life is so consumed by work, family, friends, errands, hobbies, etc. that too often we forget the most important relationship we have been called to, and the sacrifices we are called to make because of it – or rather, for it.

Jesus was our sacrifice – but what am I sacrificing for Him? This is my thought and prayer this week; for I know that there are areas in my life where I haven’t really given things to God. Perhaps I’m more like the Israelites than I thought…

No comments:

Post a Comment